Re: New HeroQuest rules

From: theunspokenword <mark_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 18:31:47 -0000

Again without going into specifics, not least for the usual NDAish reasons, can I also add something to the discussion of the new Common Magic rules. Nick B's amusing interjection aside (but he is, after all, a "rascal" in official Greggish), this is *not* Battle Magic reborn.

BM was a bland and colourless off-the-peg collection of standardised spells that were useful in breaking away from the old D&Dish 'only wizards do magic' notion, but lacked mystery, excitement or variety. As you can tell, I was never a fan. The CM rules, though, will allow you to *add* further mystery, excitement and variety to your characters, without losing the basic notion that powerful magic requires commitment to a specific deity's attributes/spirit tradition/sorcerous school/etc. I do think it is one of the most positive innovations being added in the HW -> HQ transition, making HQ more than just HW2.

All the best

Mark

Mark Galeotti