Re: SV: Fw: Invisibility and Making Affinities

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 10:22:10 -0000

> > Whereas invisibility is not only problematic, it's
> > binary -- either you succeed in becoming invisible, or
> > you don't. The degree of success only comes into play
> > for the effect's duration.
> As people have said, it need not be binary. Just like I would
govern illusory disguises, only a very good roll would be without flaws a perceptive opponent would detect:

I've always thought of Invisibility as an Active spell (I believe it was one upon a RuneQuest...), in other words you have to TRY and be Invisible all the time it's on, you don't just flick a switch. Sort of a super-stealth spell, somewhere between the 'Don't mind me, i'm not really here' sort of efect, and the Predator's Chameleon effect. Besides, I prefer the effect only works on senses the caster understands (I do allow it to cover shadows, tracks, etc.), so a human-cast Invisibility would be of limited effect on a Troll, or even a dog! Anyway, it should be an opposed roll, assuming anyone was in a position to see the Invisible character, with suitable Improv. modifiers all round.

Wulf