Re: Common magic.

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:52:25 -0700

> > There's no "e" in Rory...
>
> There's no "o" or "y" in Ruiri either, but do you hear me complaining? ;-)
> (This could be whisky and wergeld all over again...)

Or Ruadhrigh....

> > At Tentacles Greg discussed "Common Magic", a low-level set of magical
> > abilities (you get to choose a certain number of
> > spirits/grimoires/affinities, mix-and-match what you like). If you want
> > progress in the magical system of your choice/of your homeland, then
you
> > basically need to give up more and more of your Common Magic.
>
> So does this correspond to what Greg was previously calling "Communal
> worship", in the theistic case? So you'd get a certain amount of
> "broad but shallow" magic from being initiated into adulthood/the
> religion (Orlanth&Ernalda, Yelm, blah), and then lose some of that as
> you undergo "deeper" initiations?
>
> Or is it something yet broader? Magic you can learn without subscribing
> to any reiligion or "system" as such?

It is a magic unique to each individual, regardless of race, creed, color, sex... It "comes from" the Inner world, not any of the God/Spirit/Sorcery planes. It's not something you learn, it's a part of you just like your hair color or fingerprint. It's just "what you do". On the other hand, it is relatively weak - "Common Magic" is basically a keyword, and can't be raised with HP.

Nick Brooke likened it to RQ's Battle Magic, but it isn't as versitile - you can't pick up *new* affintiy/spirit/grimoires, frex, just what you chose when you create your character. Also, the magical abilities granted by CM are "watered down" versions of "true" magic - for example, you can't improvise feats from Affinities, just use the affinity to augment a skill.

RR