Re: Sense Runic Powers - an example

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:28:12 -0000

At this point there would have been a contest of Illusion Powers (or Disguise augmented by Illusion Powers) vs Spot or Recognise or something similar for the disguise to work. You might give a hefty penalty to the "Spot/Recognise" if the people weren't suspiscious/on guard etc. You might also give a penalty to the disguise if the disguise is a particular individual (Jar-Eel rather than 'A Lunar Peltast', or King Mad-Blood Malan rather than 'A Heortling Carl') etc.

> My Irripi Ontor character used the See + Hear Historical Events
> feat to see what happened.

A contest of "See & Hear Historical Events" vs the Resistance of the Historical Event - This might be quite high, if you take the view that something that happened that recently isn't "Historical", or quite low if you take the view that the reisitance will get lower the further back you go. Given the fact that Gloranthan Gods are not Omniscient, and that Irripi Ontor is a Librarian type, I think I'd favour the former view - the feat is tapping into some sort of Cosmic Archive and allowing the devotee to view events recorded there. The recent murder won't become a "Historical Event" until after the Irripi Ontor character has determined what happened and "filed it" so to speak...

Mind you, If I'm right, it sort of screws your example up, so lets assume you can see it for now....

>He also used See Runic Powers to enhance his
> view of the scene - can he percieve the illusion power being used?

This may make the resistance the Assassins best "magic resistance" type power (which might be his Illusion power) if you rule that he is the Target - However this has the strange effect that the more powerful someones Runic Powers are the harder they are to see, which seems counter-intuitive.

Sort of a strange thing to do, I think. I guess the net result would be to show the Runic Powers at play more clearly, but possibly obscuring the "normal" view to some extent. So I'd say a contest of your (enhanced) Feat vs whatever resistance is assigned, with a result of something like

Complete success - You see the Assassin and that he is using Illusion Major Success - You see the disguised Assassin and that he is using Illuson
Minor Success - Someone used Illusion Magic Marginal success - Runic Powers were invoked

> Next, A local priest with his flunkies used the See + Hear
> Historical Events feat to divine what happened.

This would work as above

> My Irripi Ontor character used See Runic Powers to see what the
> priest was up to. At the same time, the assassin used her Illusion
> powers to change the perception of the priest so that the scene he
> saw was not excatly what occurred.

Two unrelated contests - You using SRP vs the Magic Resistance of the Priest to determine what he is doing, and the Assassins Illusion powers vs the Perception of the priest to change what he sees

> Can my PC see the illusion power being used by looking at the
> priest?
> Can he see it if he looks at the assassin? Or can he see some kind
> of otherworldy battle between truth and illusion going on?

The third option sounds the most fun! It could develop into a game of semantics - "I use Sense Runic Powers to see what the priest is doing" is asking a different question to "I look at the priest and use my Sense Runic Powers". Unless your discovering the Illussion magic at this point in the game is going to completly wreck the entire plot line, I'd sooner not get into this sort of argument (but if it *is* then I'd justify not telling you by claiming you were too busy concentrating on what the priest himself was doing and didn't notice what was going on elsewhere - yes, of course I rolled it!)

> It's worth considering what the illusion power is being used to do.
> It obviously can't change what happened in the past. So is it
> changing the priest's perceptions and if so, does this illusion
> only affect the priest?

If only the priest gets to see & hear the historical events when he uses the feat, then I'd say yes. If the priest looked first and was fooled by the illusion and you looked afterwards, unknown to the assassin then the illusion wouldn't affect you. (although, from the "cosmic library" analogy above, maybe it could/would/should - maybe that explains why a fumbled "See & Hear Historical Event" may get you a misleading version of the event rather than nothing - you've "tapped in" to a biased source, or a piece of fiction masquerading as true history...

I'm not sure if this helps, or raises more questions than it answers!