Re: Sense Runic Power

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:06:36 -0000

> But ultimately, Truth and Illusion are like oil and water. As a
negative
> definition, an Illusion is something that _cannot_ be proved to be
> Real/True : but because of the Compromise, .everything Real
contains
> both some Illusion and some Truth : but there are exceptions, such
as
> the absolutely non-illusory nature of truestone and adamant, for
> example, or some of Eurmal's most disturbing tricks.

I was going to post this in reply to Alex, but it seems more appropriate here.

Suppose Jimmy Trickster character creates an illusory cow and sells it to Joe Cottar.

Would the cow have detected as a cow using cow detecting magic?(yes) If Jimmy was asked if it's a real cow, and said yes, would he have been shown a liar by lie detecting magic?(no) If he was asked if he created to cow using magic and said no, would he be cought out using lie detection?(yes) If he went to an Issaries market to sell the cow, would the market spell reveal his intent to rip people off?(maybe)

I'm not even sure about the last one. After all, he did sell a cow, it's not his fault it's only got a short shelf life. For example, would Issaries magic detect if someone was selling a diseased cow without saying so? I'd say not, and therefore I don't think our trickster would get cought out by it either.

> > In
> > evidence, I'd point out that everything in Glorantha appears to
> > have it's opposite, yet it still exists and bits of it don't
> > spontaneously vanish from time to time. e.g. water and fire
> > produce steam, not nothing. So truth and illusion transform each
> > into new permutations, rather than disappearing into the void.
>
> But Truth and Illusion aren't Elements.

I still think the analogy is valid.

In any case, the world, and the elements within it, are the product of magic. "The world is an Illusion", etc.

Simon Hibbs