Re: Consistency (was Sense Runic Power)

From: charlescorrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:15:29 -0000

> I agree that the above would be undesirable. However I do often get
> the feeling that a Bumper Book of Sample Resistances would help me
> when narrating. Even (especially?) if it were established by
> precedent within a group's play sessions.

Yes, it would help. For example, in the second Stringtown episode that you narrated, my character summoned the ghost of the (very recently) dead king and got him to say a few words to his erstwhile subjects - resistance was about 10w3 if I remember correctly. From this, I added an improvised feat of Lend voice to the Dead to my Secret Way Rituals affinity, we a difficulty of +20. I mentioned this to Greg at Tentacles and he suggested that I had got away lightly...

> The published Hero Wars rules do have some lists of resistances
> already.

It would be good if this could be expanded to about twice its current size and was revised and regularised.

> But you must admit that the rule book is also an important part of
> how you get fairness and consistency, which are generally important
> when playing games.

I do more than admit, I agree totally ;-)

regards,
Charles