Illusions [was Sense Runic Power]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 08:10:56 -0700

> RR:
> << I think that's one difference between Change or Creation and Illusion
> magic - Illusions fade (or go pop, or disappear when you're not looking,
or
> turn back into what they were transformed from, or open a
transdimensional
> rift and flit through...), while Changed or Created items stick around
> forever (where "forever" includes the results of natural aging,
deliberate
> destruction, etc.)>>
>
> I am not disagreeing with this but find it interesting that you are
argueing
> for Change magic to result in a permanent alteration of the world to a new
> staus quo, or "stasis" quo while illusion magic is temporary. One could
> almost argue that illusions do not change, get older etc. after creation
> until they disappear.

That's not the particular case I was arguing..., either I stated it badly, or you mis-interpreted the parenthetical remark about "forever".

Illusions are transitory and have a definite duration, at the end of that time they go away/revert to what they were before they were magic'd; Change magic takes place and the change is done, Created things are created and then continue on, they don't go away when the duration of the spell is done. Healing is a good example of "Change" magic - Once healed, the wound doesn't (usually - who knows about wierd-assed chaos magic?) return, but another wound in the same place can be done to the target.

As far as the results of aging, etc., yes, Changed/Created things *do* grow old, get bashed up, and eventually "die" (as much as a bronze sword or 20 ton statue can die...). Since illusions *are* temprary reality, then Glorantha should be able to impinge on them, the same way as it does on everything. An Illusionary cow can be made pregnant and give birth to a calf (assuming the duration is long enough...), or turned into steaks and eaten, and the steaks will give nourishment (duration, again). It can even get diseases, or die of old age. That is, of course, for a full "Create Illusory Cow". A holographic "Create the seeming of a cow" doesn't have much for Glorantha to "get a grip on", so a holographic cow might not appear to age.

RR

> << A Person would be healed by "Illusion of Healing", until
> the the duration expired (and, being the mean type that I am, I'd
probably
> rule that the wound was kept "in stasis" while the illusion was up, so
when
> it goes away, the wound is as fresh as when the illusion was placed on
it -
> it doesn't heal naturally in the meantime).
> >>

> Isn't this a Feat of the Black Sun, a cult that, apart form Eurmal and
> Donandar, is the only other published source that has illusion magic.
> Donandar reminds me that we could consider how the Illusionry Army of
Dragon