Re: Learning feats from subcults

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:16:21 -0000

My understanding was that to gain a new feat, you had to learn the myth behind it. Technically I think it requires a heroquest, but like the sacred time ceremonies, the quests for the "regular" feats listed for each affinity are well known and quite routine--although not every shrine will be able to support all of the feats, a temple certainly would, I think.

To learn a feat not on the list, the hero needs to know the myth for starters. This could be an in game experience, or it could be "well of course Havar knows the story of when Vangrath did X, it is just that he's never been on the quest for the feat." Either way, the narrator has to agree that it is an appropriate feat for the god/aspect/sub-cult in question.

This means the narrator gets to edit what is appropriate for each individual affinity. Some will choose to be restrictive "No, Vinga does not have any stories about using an axe to cleave an opponent from head to toe." Others will choose to say yes "Write me the basics of the story, and you can have the feat." Yet others will say yes, but it might be difficult "Vinga with an axe, well, there might be a story about when she borrowed Babeester Gor's axe, but you've never heard of anyone walking that hero path, and you don't have all the details of the story. You'll need to do more research, and then play out the quest." Frankly all three might be appropriate, depending on the situation, the player, the themes of the campaign, and available time.

When improvising instead of buying, these answers would be replaced with "no, you can't improvise a 'cleave in two with axe' feat," "Sure, give me a 15 second summary of the story and take a standard improv penalty." and "OK, but you don't know much about that story, so it will be hard to be Vinga that way, so there will be a -10 penalty."

Personally I think heroes having unique feats adds cool colour too them, but if they are too easy to get then they lose their appeal, so I'd probably lean towards the "yes, but...." option most of the time.

Regards;

Bryan