Re: Re: Learning feats from subcults

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:23:35 +0100

I wrote:

>But consider the problems that will occur if the devotee changes sub
>cults or aspects...
>Imagine that Govoran (a devotee changing from Ormalaya to Orlanthcarl)
>had learned the Orlanthcarl Farming feat of Move Stones, and raised it
>to a rating of 19 (costing 1+(19-12)=8 HP) while devoted to Ormalaya.
>Govoran now becomes devoted to Orlanthcarl. What is Govoran's rating in
>the Farming affinity? pg 71 implies zero (or 6, if you rather) until the
>player spends 3 HP, to gain an ability rating of 12. But what happens to
>Govoran's ability rating with the Move Stones feat? It too must fall to
>zero, then bounce back to 12.

Peter Metcalfe replied:

> He could always be considered to have +12 in the particular feat, a
> situation that existed in the draft and has been mentioned as coming
> back in the Heroquest rules

Something like that would fix the problem. I'd be tempted to 'conserve HPs', giving Govoran +8 (because 8 HP spent, 1 HP to acquire a rating of 12 plus 7 HP to raise it to 19) to Move Stones. Not just is the player not short-changed, nor given a chance for abuse, but the character retains his colour ('Govoran always was better at moving stones').

Alex thinks along similar lines: