Re: Hw rules for modern firearms

From: charlescorrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:33:52 -0000

Quoting out of context but...

> Others like to invent rules to "better simulate
> fencing" or to "better simulate making love"
> and the system can be easily adapted. That's a
> strength too.

Hero Wars is designed around a contest resolution system (1). In my opinion, anyone trying to make Hero Wars into a better simulation system will always bump up against "just one more" one more problem that they feel that they need to solve with another rules tweak. Eventually, they will realise that the whole thing is a creaking mess and radical surgery is required.

I like to use Hero Wars for what it is quite good at - dramatic contest resolution. It's not perfect but very good and it looks like HeroQuest will be better...

> Yes, Benedict, but if someone likes to invent
> special rules and asks a question and someone
> else likes the practice too and answers, I
> don't think it is a problem, not to me,
> anyway.

If that's what makes someone happy then more power to them. But they might be better off starting with a rules-set that tries to be a simulation system.

regards,
Charles

(1) RuneQuest was designed around a combat simulation system for low to mid level abilities. That was its strength but ultimately, in my opinion, was also its weakness.