Rules Tweaks in General (was HW/Firearms)

From: epweissengruber <epweissengruber_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:12:21 -0000

The challenge with any HW system tinkering is the same as any other system tinkering -- how to reinforce setting and theme though a few basic rules choices.

Simulating a variety of firearms or the properties of special swords might not really be of importance, but rules tweaks can be used to reinforce the setting/themes/emotions that a GM or players consider important/interesting/amusing.

I am not a big fan of grainy rules tweaking. Once one begins looking for the "right" rule to simulate something, the process could go on forever.

BUT Can one not come up with a few special cases of rules that help reinforce the setting.

Eg.: the clashing elements in Glorantha. In both RQ and HW fire-based magic gets a bonus against darkness. The circle of elements provides a simple little mechanic that reinforces the setting.

I assume that an HW adaptation of Ars Magica or an Asian-themed magic would have its own particular treatment of the elements.

or the 4 types of magic in HW:
One can choose the flexibility of Theism, the predicability and power of Sorcery, the "wham" factor of Shamanistic sprits, and the "all-or- nothing" gambles of mystic strikes. Couldn't alternative uses of the HW rules make similar tactical variations?

I would think that any Star Wars adaptation (which would emphasize grand heroics and drama) would need 1 or 2 special rules to handle the use of Darkside powers by Jedi Knights.