Re: A thought on limiting improvisation

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:04:43 -0000

> At Origins, I had the opportunity to watch Greg run part of a
> HeroQuest scenario (if I had known that it started two hours
earlier, I
> would have been playing in it). He discouraged the initiates from
> attempting to use feats; instead they could only augment other
> abilities with their affinities (though he relented at least once,
applying

This is one of the changes for HQ - initiates can only augment once (at no penalty) by calling upon their magic to help them (and describing how it works). Basically one augment per affinity (as we were mostly working with bonuses, not edges and the like)

I was playing a devotee and could do 'powerups' fairly readily. Its amazing what a sufficiently PO'd Hedkoranthi can do with thunderstones.

> a -10 penalty). Jeff Kyer was playing and may have more to add to
> this observation. These changes (initiates only augment with
affinities,
> improv penalty is -10) have been mentioned before, IIRC, so I'm not
> claiming this is new information.

I am fairly sure that this rule is a part of HQ. I think that the auto augment rules were a little bit bollixed but we were too busy having fun to really see what they SHOULD have been.

Yeah! Hey, it was good to finally meet you, btw. It was a lot of fun finally having Greg as GM after all these years.

> I've been disallowing feat improvisation for initiates for a while,
with
> improv penalties of -10 for devotees.

Yike! Way nasty... I usually limit things by time and dramatic necessity and the fact that spending 60% of the HP gained on your magical or occupational keywords is a brutal limitation.

> [snip capping improvised feats at Mythology]

I liked the way Greg 'shifted gears' between simple and extended contests in mid gear to maintain flow.

> My group uses Mythology to perform rituals (crucial to crossing
over)
> and they're getting addicted to the "rush" (with regard to drama
and
> ability improvement) from the Other Side, so they are very
interested
> in improving mythology.

That's what mine does too. They also use it as augments in 'what would Zorak Zoran do' and to inspire the troops with a good myth (at a hefty minus).

I've even seen it used to keep kids quiet.

> Thanks,
> Andy

Had a blast at Origins!

Jeff