Re: Re: Donandar magic keyword

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:53:46 -0700

> << > Harmony and Illusion IIRC.
>
> I was speaking of HW runes. In Ttrotsky's write-up Donandar has
[Theist]
> [Storm] [Orlanth] [Donandar] but IMO Donandar is not only connected to the
> Storm Pantheon, but also to the Solar and Earth Pantheons, through his
> brothers.
> So I think that every culture which recognise in his myths a brother
of
> him sports a cult of Donandar, albeit in a different form. (A fertile
field
> for God Learners) ;)>>
>
> Yes, the runic classification (as opposed to the runic affinities,
which
> are indeed Harmony & Illusion) would vary depending on which 'version' of
> Donandar you're following. I stuck with the Heortling one for obvious
reasons.

The Runic Classification that Trotsky's using was cut from the Narrator's book (and will appear on the website as soon as I can get the files over to Nils).

Basically, each otherworld being has a number of runes that determines his "status" and "place" in the world.

The First rune is the Magical system or "World" - there are four: Theist, Animist, Socery, Mystical. Gods belong to the Theist World.

The Second rune under Theist is Pantheon - Storm, Solar, Darkness, etc.

The Third Rune is Great God the minor god follows (Orlanth or Ernalda in the Storm pantheon). Some people raise other gods to "Great God" status - all it takes is enough worshippers to move the god up one rune.

The Fourth Rune is the God's own rune (or the Aspect rune of the great God).

A fifth rune can be added if this is a hero cult or other form of subcult of a god - so Donandar the Wandering bard would have a fifth rune (probably movement, if not its own rune) in fifth place.

If a god is found in more than one pantheon, then the Pantheon and Great God runes are changed - in the Solar Culture Donandar's runes would be Theist, Solar, Yelm, Donandar. His afinities might be the same or different, depending on the cultural context.

The various forms of "musician" are subcults of Donandar - Donandar the Wandering Bard, Donandar the Lord's Skald, etc.

> There is no 'official' Heortling Entertainer keyword, so I had to
guess
> what was in it (which I could leave out of the religious keyword) and what
> wasn't. Probably didn't do a spectacularly good job of it in that respect,
> but there you are.

There will be musicians in Thunder Rebels.

> << > Trotsky has the Switch Places as the Secret, but has demoted
> > Harmonise to a simple Feat, which perhaps give Switch Places it's
> > rightful importance?
>
> I prefer Harmonise as the secret, because harmony is one of the
> fundamental elements of music (even though Donandar is not only god of
music)
> and IMO it's more serious and resonant, whereas Switch Places seems to me
> cheap trick worthy of Eurmal. "Blending all, making harmony out of
cacophony,
> was Donandar's secret power" - I like this sentence! ;) >>
>
> My reasoning was that it's a pretty pokey power, which it didn't seem
> right to give to all the initiates. It's also somewhat secretive, though
> that's not quite what Secret means in this context, I admit. Certainly I
> wouldn't say your version is obviously wrong in that regard.

Gloranthan Illusians are, as we remember from RQ, a temporary reality. The Secret that Donander knows is that *all* reality is temporary - everything is illusion (though much longer-lived than ones you can create via magic). Until greg and I nail down the cult (and even after if you don't like our interpretation, I suppose), how this is manifested is up to you, but it more matches "Swap Places" than "Harmonize"

> << Though this opens up another question: is Donandar cult big enough to
have
> heroes>>
>
> I don't see why not. He may not have very *many*, of course...

Any god can have heros (and hero cults). We cut the bit in the rules about becoming a worshipped hero from the books, but anyone can do it (assuming he has enough followers).

RR