Re: Carryover/Success Level

From: hairyorlanthi <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:02:45 -0000

> I think this is a useful option in the narrator's armory,
> paritculalry when you want to handle a lot of events as simple
> contests for pacing.
>
> While its removal from HQ stations is fine, I would probably continue to retian it as technique for the above circumstances.

I'm also having trouble figuring out how to replace "final carryover" as a method of determining the level of success or failure in the quest as a whole.

I suppose it can be as simple as "if they bring home the Butter Cow without angering the Old Man, the quest was completely successful."

But this can get complex when there are multiple stations and many ways to succeed. And what happens to the determination of victory level if a lunar heroquester has imposed on the myth, taking the place of the Old Man, and the Heroes had to kill him?

The trickyness of this came home to me last night as I was working on the "Results" section of the Joraz Kyrem and the Three Striped Wives" heroquest for Different Games. I'm merrily typing along through the Complete Success section and on into Major, etc, when I realized that if there's a method for determining these victory levels that isn't carryover, I don't know what it is.

Mike
http://differentgames.onestop.net