Re: Affinity and Mythology (was A thought on limiting improvisation)

From: jamesjhawkins <James.Hawkins_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:45:39 -0000

> There is still the issue of whether any particular improvised feat
> makes sense to the narrator and player group.
> In my opinion, the narrator (advised by the player group) should
> have veto over whether any particular attempt of improvising a
> feat

Sure, I'm not suggesting that be changed, merely that some automatic checks and balances could be added so that the game remains fair.

> And furthermore, the narrator can and should impose a
> difficulty on some feats - what's being attempted is hard and the
> world or target gets additional resistance.
Aye, but the difficulty of the new feat (in rules, the D+ number) is not related to the improvisation of the feat, which is the topic under discussion.

> Placing mechanical obstacles in the way of improvisation will just
> lead to players finding mechanical ways around the problem
> (increasing their mythology or devotee ratings) or, even worse,
> discouraging creative storytelling.

Sure, but that could be said of any rules mechanic.

> There are specific uses of the mythology and devotee abilities
that,
> to be fair, have seen little use in our game so far.
> The mythology
> ability is used for rituals in general and opening the path to the
> otherworld in particular. The worship/initiate/devotee ability is
> used to see how well the user can act as their deity in
ritual/quest
> situations and also for divination.
> Again, rulesbooks not to hand so

Even with these additions, their usage still seem to be fairly marginal to me.

Many years ago I read an article by the person who upgraded Kingmaker for Avalon Hill. The approach taken, which I think has value, was to look at how much work a particular rule (ability in our case) is doing. If something wasn't working hard enough, he dropped it, or gave it more work to do.
Mythology of X and Devotee of X are not working hard enough, IMO.

Cheers,

sjjh