Re: Affinity and Mythology (was A thought on limiting improvisation)

From: giangero <giangero_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 06:51:50 -0000

> It could slow things down a little, but how about
> automatically augmenting the Affinity with Mythology for
> Improvisation. You have Movement 2W, Mythology of Orlanth
Adventurous
> 10W, and you want to use the feat Run Up Cliff. The Narrator
assigns
> a -10 Improvisation penalty, so you are at 2W-10+3 for a 15 vs the
> cliff's 14. If you wanted to augment your Climb Cliff ability with
> Movement, you wouldn't get the Mythology bonus, but you wouldn't
have
> the penalty, either. (Instead of saying "I will Run Up this Cliff
as
> Orlanth Ran Up the Cliffs of Woe when he found the Brass Cow," you
> pray "Help me get up this cliff in one piece, Oh Orlanth.") A
devotee
> wouldn't use this as much, but then they don't suffer as many
> Improvisation Penalties having a more direct line to the god's
powers.

> Peter Larsen

Precisely what I wrote some messages ago (in different words).

I also like to stress that the nature of improvisation is such that in some instances you could use Mythology to improvise (for example when you are calm and have a bit of time), in others the narrator says: no way (if you have just a fraction of second to react). So suggestions / open solutions are possible, in my opinion, mechanics are not. Mythology (a "knowledge" ability) is related to the use of feats and affinitites in some circumstances, inappropriate in others.

Ciao,
Gian