Re: Re: Combat abilities question

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 21:34:31 +0100

On Mon, 05 Aug 2002 20:06:51 +0100, Wulf wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Aug 2002 18:47:27 -0000, "theunspokenword"
><mark_at_...> wrote:
>
>>present it says +1/1HP but this is an unclear area which will be
>>sorted out properly in HQ. FWIW, I think allowing any hero to
>>increase an ability with a whole range of very different weapons at
>>just 1HP a pop makes no sense, anyway!
>
>This was, of course, argued over many times before. Sounds like it's
>too late for any further arguments though. Hopefully the 'new' combat
>skills make some sense - 'Sword Combat' is a meaningless
>over-generalisation of many, many, highly differing weapon skills.
>'One handed swinging bladed', 'One handed swinging hafted' etc. would
>be properly called NARROW skills. Even 'Swinging Sword and Shield' or
>'Thrusting Sword and Shield', since the types of sword used vary
>little when you also have to carry a shield.. There is virtually no
>similarity whatsoever between Gladius and Claymore skill...

In the real world, you are of course right.

In a High-Fantasy/Cinematic world (which HW kept on saying that it was trying to emulate) combat is combat. You can't imagine Conan suddenly getting hacked to bits because all he had to fight with today was a stolen gladius.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac