Worldscale (was Abilityscale)

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:46:04 EDT

Graham said:
<The numbers in AR don't really work - it was published a bit early in the
<games history, before people really got to grips with how easy it was to
<have characters with 'run fast 3W2' and such.

There is something not quite right about that logic,but iīm not sure....

The ratings that the animals have,have nothing to do with how quick a character can raise his skills.Because:the worldscale must be absolute,to be of any value.Itīs all about comparing.Not comparing humans to anything else,but:
ANYTHING WITH EVERYTHING! Maybe the flaw is,that when they designed "A.R.",a mastery was intended to be something special...?Maybe everyone without a mastery was supposed to be mundane(,like in RQ,skills up to 90/100% were supposed to be mundane and after that,everything was very special)...?If that is the case,everything could be fixed,just by raising animalabilities by a certain amount(like for instance 20)....
But maybe there is another flaw:if 6 is default and ordinary,15 good and 18 quite good,but still laymen skill and mundane/natural.And every mastery is a threshold,maybe the THRESHOLDS are wrong.... There are 20 points for laymen,20 points for trained,20 for masters and another 20 for experts.But after that,thresholds donīt rise that slow anymore,but quicker...
We have a range of 80 points for measuring normal "humans",i.e.what mortal humans can achieve,ordinarily.Maybe W(one mastery) should mean trained(like up to 10W) AND master(11W-20W),so that we have a different scale,that relates more to the world than to humans:

1-20-ordinary

21-40(W)-trained/experienced
41-60(W2)-superhuman/demigodlike
61-80(W3)-magical
81-100(W4)-godlike

To make the gamesystem,what it could be,we need a table that gives us definite qualities.The scale may be openended(there might always be a greater god...),but definite.The scalesystem should be so transparent that every gamemaster can assign any difficulty to a any contest or can assign any creature a value that describes itīs size.So i think we need a table that is the worldscale for various
things:size,power,strength,ability,difficulty...and than everything would be perfect!

greetings

Christian