Re:Re: Worldscale (was Abilityscale)

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:44:37 -0000

That's not in dispute, what is is your idea that that's not a relative measure but an absolute one. Horses (in AR) have the 'right' speed compared to wolves or the given ratings for intelligent species, the problem is these are far lower than player characters (and suitable NPCs) will be. Relative to one another, AR ratings are fine, but relative to actual PCs they're mostly too low.

> If i want to be able,to run as fast as a horse,thatīs superhuman
and will
> need an ability with four masteries,no?!AND a good story that gives
our hero
> the chance and a possibility to become that super-human.
> Why isnīt a horseīs RunFast ability something like 5W4?????

Much too high, human beings CAN beat horses in specific categories - Olympic sprinters can beat them over 100m, maybe 200m. People in various countries have captured horses by running them into the ground (horses, being poor energy managers, tend to run themselves to exhaustion). About 10W2 is about right for most wild horses, up to 20W2 for racehorses. The fastest man in the tula could keep pace with a horse. On that basis, I'd say adding a mastery to all NOTABLE abilities of wild animals works pretty well as a guide.

> If itīs all about a good story,for what reason do we need a
bestiary at
> all?And what if the gamemaster doesnīt want a RunFast5W character
to be as
> fast as a horse ??

If you didn't have a bestiary (or couldn't find it), how would you know Tusk Riders were Theists? And if you don't want characters to run that fast, they don't. I can't remember, but don't horses get 'run long distance' or 'run fast'? If a character has just 'run', that's at least a -5 modifier to either run fast, OR long...

Wulf