Worldscale again

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 06:43:47 EDT

Graham said:

<>The worldrecord for sprinting is somewhat about 9m/sec,
<
<World record for the hundred metres is well under ten seconds, <giving a
<speed of well over 10m/sec...

I donīt know the exact worldrecord- i just looked for some kind of realistic number...On the hannover-zoo website, where i also got the other speed values from, the sprint value of a human runner was 30kmh.This is just for assigning, what could be the "best"(an expert) rating for a human.

<This doesn't appear to be following the rules. If the bid is 3AP <(very low,
<by the way) and its success vs. success, the loser forfeits 3AP. <Default
<resistance is 14 not 6, and most characters will have some more <obvious
<skill to use anyway (run, dodge, jump, movement magic, <whatever). A skill
<of 12 for an elephant's trample seems very low - maybe that <figure is in
You misunderstand my point of view.I tried to figure damage derived from mass only, and i think that tramplingdamage comes mostly from mass not strength, so this was a good occasion.
So for my calculation it was necessary, that the target will not dodge, etc.Thats why i assigned a default of 6(no skill/helpless).Even if the real default is 14- is doesnīt matter, because, for my example i want the target to fail anyway.
I just tried to figure out how much edge an elephant would gain from his mass to calculate his mass....:-)

<Any extrapolation
<you make will only be true for your exact way of running the <story - which
<is why any attempts to derive an exact simulation from the rules <is doomed
<to failure. You need to make too many assumptions.

Iīm afraid that is very correct.....:-(

<>12-Mouse-Sprint5
<You've obviously never tried to catch a mouse!

We are talking about Sprinting....the difficulty to catch a mouse comes from itīs Small and itīs Agility, i would say....

<The HW scale is logarithmic - if you are going to assign numbers, <doubling
<somewhere between every +10 and +20 works quite well. In <other words, if
<24kmph is sprint 15, then 48kmph is somewhere between sprint <5W and sprint
15W.

I donīt think so and if itīs true, the supersprinter could catch a gepard, no ?!

15W2-7kmh
5W3-15kmh
15W3-30kmh
5W4-60kmh
15W4-120kmh

Whatever is true, it seems very clear, that it canīt work this way. So the question is still: how to design creatures, other than in context of the story????

a disappointed

Christian