Worldscale from an unrepentant general simulationist

From: rjmeints_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:49:37 -0400

This whole worldscale debate has lured me into responding. I feel that it is a core concept. It can greatly impact whether players and GMs enjoy the game by understanding
how core mechanics work AND relate to one another.

The whole concept (or rule) that the ability STRONG differs between Trolls, Giants, and other creatures worries me. The concept that RUN, RUN FAST, SPRINT, JOG, whatever, all don't relate to each other confuses me while it also convinces me that HeroWarsQuest is neither rules lite nor simple.

Since I'm probably missing the core concepts here, I'll restate what I think they should be and hope that I get lucky in my interpretation.

PHILOSOPHY: Abilities like Run, Sprint, Run Fast, Run like the Wind, Speedy, etc. are identical. While abilities like "run like the wind" may be more poetic or atmospheric, they aren't different from RUN. I understand that RUN, is different to SPRINT, but I don't really want to slow the story down with big debates over how they relate, and/or what the differences are. Thus, if a Horse has RUN FAST 15W, and my character has RUN LIKE THE WIND 17, I will lose most of the time. If both the skills were 15, it would be 50/50 who would win.

Let me knwo if I was even close...