Ability, worldscale, augments,long campaigns

From: Hannu Kokko <Hannu.Kokko_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:56:39 +0300

A lurker steps in:

It does not make much sense if I have to actually invest time in thinking whether Run Fast, Run, Run Like A Wind are different or the same. Life is too short for that. From the storytelling point they can be as different as you in your game want to but from the contest resolution point they must be the same ability otherwise this poor referee will go slowly/rapidly insane by doing all this fudging etc. I want the story AND the campaign to flow. The HW contests are long enough as is.

Could somebody enlighten me a bit regarding what is broken in the augmentation rules as my players have yet to break the scenarios with these (they are complaining about the fudgy/fuzzy rules so much that they forget to exploit (minimax) the holes).

We should try to understand also the worldscale as things can become ridiculous in long campaigns. I have run in RQ the same campaign with most of the same characters since 1981 with lots of sessions by minimaxing players. Their abilities might be ridiculous compared to superhumans/gods if w2 can be reached in a year of gametime play. In RQ a few of them had their best skills in 150-170% or something. Has anybody thought neat ways how to prevent the reaching of w2 etc abilities too fast.

Seems odd that we still several years after the Convulsion where the playtest was run are still talking/complaining about the rules stuff and so many aspects of it. Are we really so slow to do the paradigm shift or should the rules actually be tuned/changed... At least at convulsion I have enjoyed being a HW gamer in a one-off adventure but I am not sure whether I have enjoyed being a HW referee in a campaign as much as I enjoyed being the referee in RQ campaign.

--h