Re: Ability, worldscale, augments,long campaigns

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:48:13 +0100

>We should try to understand also the worldscale as things can become
>ridiculous in long campaigns. I have run in RQ the same campaign with most
>of the same characters since 1981 with lots of sessions by minimaxing
>players. Their abilities might be ridiculous compared to superhumans/gods if
>w2 can be reached in a year of gametime play. In RQ a few of them had their
>best skills in 150-170% or something. Has anybody thought neat ways how to
>prevent the reaching of w2 etc abilities too fast.

Adding a mastery to a mundane skill is 20 increases at a hero point each (two HP if unrelated). If you're determined, that's a mastery every 20 sessions... Luckily I've never seen anyone that determined - I do believe Hero Wars tends to discourage such behaviour. I kind of like the idea of 'minimum 1 hero point per mastery already in the skill' rule, myself.

>Seems odd that we still several years after the Convulsion where the
>playtest was run are still talking/complaining about the rules stuff and so
>many aspects of it. Are we really so slow to do the paradigm shift or should
>the rules actually be tuned/changed.

There are two issues here. Some of the rules are dubious - and won't be 'fixed' until we see HeroQuest. If then, given Greg's last post. The other issue is that apparently people are still discovering the rules. Christian's recent posts, that started this thread, suggest he (at least) is still getting to grips with the system, and hasn't managed the 'ignore the bits that are really not working in my game' approach yet...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson