Re: Worldscale again and again

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:23:21 -0000

> I tried to figure an elephants mass from the following scenario:it
>tramples someone(a human, etc.) down, Trample12 vs. a plain
resistance >of 6. Letīs say itīs a success vs. a success- looser forfeits x1.
> Letīs say the elephant uses his default of 3AP-so the poor guy
looses >6AP.I imagine, that after being trampled down by an elephant,you are
>very hurt(if not dead...)- a major victory(thus -21-30AP), so there
>should be an edge of, maybe 25.

Full marks for trying, but you've made a fairly fundamental error, and I think the easiest way to explain it is to calculate the edge a dagger should have in combat - We'll assume both comabtants have an equal level of masteries, so there is no bumping. Let's say it's a marginal victory, looser forfiets x1 and the attacker bid a default of 3.

Well being stabbed by a dagger is going to leave you hurt (reduced to -11 AP) if not injured (-21 AP) or Dead - If the combatants were "starting characters" with skills of 17 then the edge of a dagger needs to be around ^25 to get this effect.

If an elephant attempts to trample you for only 3AP it's likely to make you take a step back, or get nudged aside. An elephant trampling you to death uses it's Large 18W augmented by it's Strong 18W (an automatic +3) giving it 1W2 (maybe more if it rolls the augment). This gives it 41AP - A bid of 14 AP will cause a grevious wound even it only makes a marginal victory (and if you are defending with a skill l of 6 - or even 12 or 17 then the Elephant will never get lower than a success, and will critical on a roll of 1-19 making the most likely results looser transfers x1 or x2 (The elephant as 1 chance in  400 of transfering x1 to the trampee and no more than 4%(vs skill 17) of loosing x1, so a higher bid is not unreasonable (vs a skill of 17 a bid of 38 will nearly always take the victim to "Injured" status without the need for a coup-de-grace - as well as giving you 58AP to bid against his mate!