Re: Classification of divine powers

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:23:25 +0100

><Orlanth is not the god of storm. He IS storm.He
><holds some of the greater principles of the universe - but really <he IS
>that principle.
><To have a certain amount of control over all the weather in <Glorantha is
>about a 10w9 - which is the power of a greater god.
>
>COOL!
>That is exactly the kind of information,that i have waited for.Do you think
>you can write a text like this, for other divine ratings(W4,5,6,7,8,9,10) as
>well?!!
>What about some gods from our world,like mercury/hermes(who was a lesser god,
>i think) or mars,venus or jupiter ?!
>
>I had this idea, that W4 is demonic.A being with greater powers than humans
>but not a god.Also the rating for demigods like hercules ?
>
>Or we could do it in order,what kind of gods do we know and what are they
>like.There are gods in a pantheon and supergods that rule alone,there are
>saints and demons and angels....I always wondered what Cthulhu might be in
>HW....

My initial reaction to all this is, roughly, uurgh... Bit too dieties and demigods for my taste.

Let me try and give another perspective., using the recent fall of Whitewall as an example.

At Whitewall, the Heortlings gathered their warriors, magicians, and champions; rallying behind the cry "Free the Air!"

The Lunars assembled their own armies, their battlecry "Destroy the Rebel Storm!"

Both sides has massive support within their respective communities. Families would covertly support the rebel armies, offering prayers and sacrifice for their success. In the end, as Greg has described many times for other matters, both sides had placed their faith on the line, and it became, essentially, a quest challenge. Champions were chosen, the contest was met, dice were rolled. The heortlings fumbled. Their faith was gone - not just for those who had been there, but those who supported them, however little. Orlanth was gone from their lives.

Did Orlanth die? Did the red moon ride out of the clouds to smite him from the eye of the storm? Does it matter? In most of Glorantha Orlanth breathes free. In Ralios they've probably bearly noticed - a few winds travelling in odd directions, at odd strengths; some odd rumours. Their magic is unaffected.

What is important is the *relationship* between Orlanth and his worshippers. That is what has died, and that is what causes the visible problems. Heroquesting is as much about personal change, personal risk as it is about plundering the gods war or whatever.

So how many masteries does Orlanth have? Why does it matter? The story isn't, at the end of the day, about Orlanth, its about the characters. Their faiths, their beliefs, their challenges, victories and failures. This isn't the Gods War, this is the Hero War. The Gods are just part of the back drop. So what if Rufelza has W10 (or W15 inside the glowline) and Humakt only has W8. Can she beat him? No - that isn't how it works. Instead her believers have to gather support and defeat his believers in heroquesting, where both put their faith up as the bet.

Hope this explains my point. Of course, YMMV.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson