Really big TNs...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:26:53 +0100 (BST)

Jeff K:
> Orlanth is not the god of storm. He IS storm. Great Orlanth is all the
> Air, for example. (Or at least, pretty damn close to all of it). He
> holds some of the greater principles of the universe - but really he
> IS that principle.

Except that, as you yourself comment in another message, the 'greater godhead' of the transcendent principle of storm (say) is unknowable. So to say that Orlanth _is_ this principle is either to make a mystical insight to that effect (which is necessarily a personal, subjective experience), or simply to make the obviously correct anecdotal observation that just about every manifestation of storm can be demonstrated to be a part of Orlanth, his kin, his subject, or someone/ thing who renders him some sort of magical acknowledgement or tribute (which might be a Heortling-perspective way of looking at 'colateral worship'...).

> To have a certain amount of control over all the weather in Glorantha
> is about a 10w9 - wihch is the power of a greater god. It has at
> _lease_ once before in Glorantha. But it takes work, luck and the
> god NOT noticing what you are up to (can't think of a better reason
> for divine wrath off hand)...

Indeed. I don't know that this means that Lokomoko *makes sign against evil gods with left hand* had a 10w9 in High Storm, necessarily. Certainly he did seem to be able to master (almost) all of the local manifestations, though, which has got to be a Dubya or six...

> What do you need to Transcend a world with mysticism?

Well, I've seen a (suggested, draft, other caveats) TN for this, but I had better hold my tongue. ;-) In practice though, as I understand the concept, it wouldn't actually require having an ability _at_ that level, but defeating that value in one or more contests, which for obvious game-mechanical reasons might be a very different proposition.

Cheers,
Alex.