Re: Animal keywords (Was something about worldscale...)

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:16:10 -0500

At 10:09 AM 8/20/2002 -0700, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

>I'm in the camp that "run is run" - an average horse uses exactly the same
>"Run" abilty as the average man. If you give it a number, then a Human's
>"Run" can be compared to it. And so can all other "Run"-type abilities:
>"Sprint", "Run like the wind", "Cartoon Circular Legs like RoadRunner", and
>so can other movement abilities: "Fly", "Swim", "Swing through the treetops
>on jungle vines" when used in a contest of "who can get there first" or
>similar.

That's how I play it.

>I think the numbers in AR are generally too low (no disrespect to Trotsky or
>Greg, but I do).

AR seems more in line with the ability scale in the original draft, whereas the scale in subsequent publications has undergone a certain amount of inflation. I'd just increase the AR ability ratings to bring them into accord with the newer scale. Much simpler than adding modifiers.

Mechanically, you can adjust the scale as desired, depending on how long you want it to take for a beginning hero to turn himself into a rival to Harrek. Five masteries between the two or ten, it doesn't really matter. But separate scales for the analogous abilities of humans and animals seems unnecessarily baroque to me.

Take care >>> Robin