Re: Re: Spending HP on affinities

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:13:10 +0100

nichughes2001 wrote:

> After fairly brief play of an initiate I would regard it as a
> feature, Initiates simply have less reason to concentrate on their
> magical abilities and are less likely to do so than devotees.

The problem with this is that HPs are part of the meta-game: they represent what the PLAYERS want or can do, not what the CHARACTERS want or can do. Trying to make the players act 'realistically' by punishing particular uses of HPs is against the spirit of the game and the (apparent) purpose of HPs.

I think HP costs should be chosen to ensure game balance. Hence the concern that triple HP cost for affinities of initiates is wrong.