Re: comparing ratings

From: charlescorrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:45:37 -0000

> Nope, I stand by what I said.
>
> If I'm in a race using "Run fast 14"
> against a falcon with "Fly fast 14",
> a giant with "Leap far 14", a monkey
> with "Swing quickly on vines 14" and
> a fish with "Swim fast 14" (just to
> pick abilities and numbers out of
> the air), then I have an even chance
> of getting to the finish line ahead
> of them all on a straight course, no
> Hero Points, each creature in its
> proper environment, etc.

snip!

> The difference in chance of
> "winning" should lie in the ability
> rating, not some "Horses are faster,
> so it should get a bonus" dodge. If
> you think the horse should be
> faster, than upgrade its ability
> rating to allow it to beat most
> people who have spent some HP on
> Running.

Totally agree but... (a variant on Yes but...)

If the written name of the ability of one participant is more specifically suited to the conditions of the contest, then I would apply a situation modifier. If the contest was 1 on 1, I would apply a minus to the other participant. If the contest involved many, I would apply a plus to the more specific rating.

For example, Run Fast versus Running. If the contest was a short race, then I would favour Run Fast. If the contest was over a long distance, I would probably (but not definitely) favour Running.

regards,
Charles