Re: Re:comparing ratings

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:51:40 +0100

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 05:57:57 EDT, Christ ain wrote:

>Roderick said:
>
><Nope, I stand by what I said.
><
><If I'm in a race using "Run fast 14" against a falcon with "Fly fast 14",
>agiant <with "Leap far 14", a monkey with "Swing quickly on vines 14" and a
>fish with <"Swim fast 14" (just to pick abilities and numbers out of the
>air), then I have an <even chance of getting to the finish line ahead of the
>mall on a straight course, <no Hero Points, each creature in its
>properenvironment, etc.
>
>Iīm still sure that any rating is primary a description of your character, i
>mean thatīs how making a characters starts: you write 100 words and on that
>basis, assign ratings to the keywords.

>If your rating for any movement ability, for example, is 5w-it means you are
>quite good at it, right?!

>So a giant, who maybe moves 5m(on default of 6) per step and a giant who
>trained running, and thus runs 7m(or any other number), is quicker than a
>bird(rating 6), who flies only 2m in the same time, that the giant moves
>7m.So how can you say you donīt give a darn how quick they are in reality???
>The rating describes how good a character is with his specific skill.You can
>compare the rating with any other human, but not with movement skills, that
>rely on quicker or slower forms,thatīs what i believe!

They aren't in reality, they're in Glorantha.

I honestly don't see the point in having ratings unless they can be compared.

Perhaps we would be much better off which a purely narrative system in which one had schticks or one did not, but that's not the so far published game. I rather get the impression that at times Greg at least would rather that WAS the published game, but it's not, and I don't really think speculating about such a game helps.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac