Re: Re: Spending HP on affinities

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:30:05 +0100

nichughes2001 wrote:

> spend some additional HP to reflect
> the fact that this particular individual exceeds the typical
> abilities of initiates. I'm struggling to see where the problem is.

All player characters tend to be atypical, and (eventually) exceed the typical abilities of their peers. Are you advocating extra HP costs for (e.g.) merchants who increase combat magics or Close Combat? Character classes, anyone? What about the 'interesting' unusual abilities and ambiguous references that players tend to have. My Vingan has 'The Sedenyic Secrets' as an ability; should she have to pay extra to increase it?

The problem is that this is a slippery slope; if you advocate extra HP costs for particular atypical abilities, where will it end?