Re: Secrets, mainly Maran's.

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:39:08 -0500

At 9:05 PM +0100 8/22/02, Alex Ferguson wrote:
>I certainly think that any ability rated in the W3s or so is certainly
>demonstrably and noticably magical. In (simulationist?) cosmological
>terms, that's the "size" of the first o/s barrier, after all, if one
>wants to look at it like that. Contra Ian (yeah, let's bitch about
>him while he's gone!), I don't think it's possible to crisply
>distinguish the magical from the non-magical, for pretty much _any_
>"sufficiently advanced" ability. Talents being a case in point. (I'm
>not sure how say the Heortlings account for such things, though; do
>they explain all such as having a precedent in (theistic) myth? Or do
>they think that things can "become magical", from first principles?)

        Well, if Minlister IS brewing and beer as well as the "Brewing God," then getting very good at making beer (Brewing 1W3+) means that you are getting very close to being Minlister in some sense. As you point out, W3 is the range of the Other World barriers -- maybe when you brew with your Brewing 10W3, you sometimes enter the Other World....

        With Minlister, of course, having a Drink Beer 10W3 would be as magical and nearly as holy....

Peter Larsen