Re:comparing ratings

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:21:55 +0100 (BST)

sjjh:
> Has the troll necessarily got bigger? No, he has learned how to use
> his size more effectively.

Has he necessarily _not_ gotten any bigger? Never discount the possibilities inherent in the Uz-Plan Diet.

> If it's a PC that's Large, it could be argued that, since Large is an
> Ability not a Flaw then it shouldn't work detrimentally. After all
> you had to spend HPs to improve your Large. (This argument would be
> labelled "rules lawyerist" and lost, though.)

Shades of the old saw about being a lawyer being a criminal offence...

I don't personally see there being a hard and fast distinction between the two. One might "gain" either without the player's direct intervention (say, in the course of a HQ). A Flaw might have an upside; a mostlyuseful  "Ability" might have a downside, as per your example. And it may also be a bit of a moveable feast: Hate Chaos may be a useful ability for an Uroxi, but a Flaw to be worked down for an Illuminatewannabe.

Relativistically,
Alex.