Re: comparing ratings in roderick?s view

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:19:48 +0200

Charles Corrigan :

> > If any ability says, how good you are
> > at something and thus "Run Fast" shows
> > how good you are at running and that
> > in consequence has some kind of
> > "realworldspeed" BUT we don�t care
> > about, in the game (for instance
> > because it would gaming too
> > complicate, which i think is a good
> > argument) - then still a cheetah with
> > a rating of "RunFast12" must be quite
> > lame ,right?!
> > So any "respectable" cheetah should
> > have a much higher rating (if we
> > assume that they CAN run 114kmh in our
> > gameworld), right?!
>
> Absolutely - a cheetah should have a Run Fast 15W2 if you expect it to
> consistently beat "normal" Heortlings with Running 13.

There is always another way ... ;-)

I think the creature stats in AR could have been usefully presented in a different format, such that a Gobbler for instance would be recorded as Gobbler 10W (Paws +2 ^1*, Crave Foodstuff +8, Large 5W, Resist Poison +5, Smell Foodstuff 5W2, Strong 2W, Tough).

The advantages would be that Gobblers-in-chief, powerful Gobblers, etc would be generated by simply stating "this is a Gobbler 5W2" without changing the racial abilities of Large, Smell Foodstuff and Tough, whilst presenting the facts that it had Paws 7W2 ^1, Crave Foodstuff 13W2, Resist Poison 10W2, and Tough 5W2 as a single number (hmmmm : should powerful Gobblers be Larger than weak ones ?).

So : Impala 2W (Butt and Kick -5**, Dodge, Leap +3, Run Fast, Scent Predator 18)

Rubble Runner 10 (Bite, Climb, Dig +2, Evoke Fear, Forage, Scamper Quickly +4, Small 15)

etc

Sort of halfway between a keyword and a broad skill, but ensuring the proper way to understand and use the HW/HQ rules is communicated to readers, players and GMs in the creature stats.

Any help ?

Julian Lord