Re: comparing ratings in roderick´s view

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:28:14 -0000

> There is always another way ... ;-)
>
> I think the creature stats in AR could have been usefully presented
> in a different format, such that a Gobbler for instance would be
> recorded as Gobbler 10W (Paws +2 ^1*, Crave Foodstuff +8, Large 5W,
> Resist Poison +5, Smell Foodstuff 5W2, Strong 2W, Tough).
>
> The advantages would be that Gobblers-in-chief, powerful Gobblers,
> etc would be generated by simply stating "this is a Gobbler 5W2"
> without changing the racial abilities of Large, Smell Foodstuff and
> Tough, whilst presenting the facts that it had Paws 7W2 ^1, Crave
> Foodstuff 13W2, Resist Poison 10W2, and Tough 5W2 as a single number
> (hmmmm : should powerful Gobblers be Larger than weak ones ?).

Apart from the confusion on Tough (is "Tough" representing "Tough +0" so a Gobbler 5W2 is Tough 5W2 (as per your example) or "Tough 10W" so a Gobbler 5W2 is still Tough 10W (as your description suggests)) this is a pretty good solution.

Powerful Gobblers (or indeed Rubble Runners, Impalas or Umbroli) may often be larger than weak ones (or alternatively , large ones are often more powerful than smaller ones), although probably not on any useful sort of sliding scale (be it arithmatic or logarithmic!)...

Bear in mind that a Human might be "Large 6" (default if no size defined) "Large 12" (or "small 12") if they spent hero points to start the ability in play, "Large 13" if it is gained form their 100 word write up, or Large 1W or Large 5W if it was one of their "chosen" skills - With that sort of range I don't see it as impossible for a creature to vary a bit from the AR values...