Re: Multiplying and adding.

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:07:53 +0800

At 8:37 PM +0000 21/8/02, jeffkyer scribbled:

>> Nick Brooke:
>> > I agree completely, however, that multiplying a TN by any number
>greater
>> > than one breaks the rules. (AFAIK, this only happens in the Lunar
>Magic
>> > rules, which I consider "broken" for that reason).
>>
>> This is the only such that I can think of too, but adding together
>> ability rating is problematic for essentially the same reason. The
>> most direct example of this would be the Gor/Devor cults. Obviously
>> the true successors to the old RQ Babs cult in that respect... It
>> crops up in several other places, though.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alex.
>
>But its a _secret_ so that's what makes it so powerful.

        That a secret needs to be powerful is a narrative reason, not a mathematical one. There are an awful lot of ways to run an effect in HW that will get you a big number at the end.

        I'm sorry, but the 'this effect is powerful, so the mechanics should be broken' reasoning doesn't get very far with me. Almost always, they only work for one unimaginative interpretation and break when applied to someone elses narrative.

	Cheers
		David