Re: Frequent Player Miles Club.

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:54:09 +0800

> >This is true, and it must be said that there one also seems to get a
>>much higher quality of discussion of "GNS issues" than one gets here.
>
>Possibly true, but for those of who find the whole gamist vs. narrativist
>vs. simulationist distinction trite and uninformative that's a good reason
>for avoiding the place. Personally, I'd be quite happy to see the word
>'simulationist' banned from the group - it seems to be another variant on
>that old rule "the odds of someone being accused of simulationism tends to
>one".

        The trick is understanding not just the distinction, but also that all games are all three to some extent, and that personally weighting one higher than the others doesn't mean that the others aren't important. Its not about separating us into three tribes, its about understanding motivations for particular rules. Different reasoning can be appropriate in different places.

        There are obviously rules in HW that are not there for narrativist reasons, but gamist or simulationist ones. Nothing wrong with that. But reasoning from one basis when you should be reasoning from another can make an awful mess of things.

	Cheers
		David