Re: Digest Number 1007

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 05:26:21 -0700 (PDT)

> The game mechanics have surprisingly few ways in
> which the players can
> control the course of the game AS A GAME (since the
> Narrator sets up
> all the contests and decides the abilities and
> ratings of the
> opponents). Expenditure of HPs (either as bumps or
> ability
> improvements) is how players control the course of
> the game. Weakening
> the use of HPs is therefore, I think, reducing what
> little player
> control of the game there is.

Yep. Just on last Saturday's session, one of the players commented "Ehi, I influenced the plot", because he had suggested a certain thing that happened (I, tactfully avoided to say that I have decided that possible outcome ages before).
Players are humans; Narrators are humans: ergo players and narrators belong to the same species and love/hate the same things.

> Not surprisingly, "narrativist games" are popular
> with potential narrators,
> but considerably less so with potential players.
>
> Jim Chapin

I think Jim succesfully explains the extremes of what Wulf wrote, that he doesn't play to entertain the players. Of course in a hyperbolic description.

Ciao,
Gian

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes http://finance.yahoo.com