Re: Re: Last actions as played

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:54:02 -0700

> So the Last Action will be a turn like any other:
>
> I pick a relevant ability,
>
> I make a bid (up to starting APs, since I have none)
> The narrator and I roll on the EC table, with the resistance being
> the number of APs I am negative

Under the Convulsion-draft rules:
You pick an ability, and roll a Simple Contest against your negative AP. There is no bid, this is not an Extended Contest. The level of victory determines if you regain AP (equal to or double the ability rating of the ability you used), do nothing, get Hurt, or fall farther towards death.

Example:

Joe and his buddies are trying to rescue Sally from the evil magician. In the climactic battle between the Magician's flying gorillas and the party, Oggo beats Joe to -14AP. The next round, Oggo turns away to deal with Bill.
Joe uses his "Love Sally 17" to pull himself together. The roll is a Simple 17 vrs 14, and Joe rolls.
On a Complete Success, he'll get 34 AP (2x the ability rating) On a Minor or Major, he'll regain 17 Ap (1x the AR) On a Marginal or Tie he gets nothing, but loses nothing. From here on it's bad news for Bill!
On a Minor or Major Defeat he gains a Hurt (-1) and gets no AP. On a complete Defeat he'll drop from Hurt to Injured (he won't lose more AP, just the final outcome will be adjusted).

The next round, if he has positive AP, Joe can do something.

> If I get a Transfer that takes me to positive APs, then I'm back in
> the contest, but
> if I don't get back up to positive APs then I'm out of the contest
> for good*; I can't attempt a last action again. (*Although another
> participant could act against me to drive me to an even lower level
> of defeat.)

Correct. Or a friend can loan you APs to try to get you back to positive/less bad off.

As far as an opponent acting against you to drive you further under, it's usually a Bad Idea - if he fails big and *Transfers* AP (and that's just what HP are for!), you could get back on your feet. If you're going to "drive someone even lower", then give them a Coup de Grace and be down with it.

You can only attempt an FA *once* each time you drop under 1 AP - So if you can get knocked down below 0, FA back, get hit again to <0, FA back, etc. If you fail the FA, *you* can't get yourself back later, and are out of the contest unless a friend helps.

RR