Re: Re: Last actions as played

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:27:45 -0700

Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...> wrote:
> Roderick wrote:
>
>> Some people like a defeated enemy to stay down without looking
>> after him,
>
> i.e. they don't want to routinely administer coups de grace (assuming
> this represents "looking after him").

Not necessarily. In the HW rules (I don't have them handy, so I can't give you a page #), it says you can prevent a defeated enemy from performing a final action just by having a character (e.g. a follower) "watch them". Not kill, just watch. That keeps the defeated guy from pulling anything.

Mental Picture: Gurgh the Uzlord, with his trollkin follower Wusso, is fighting Art and Bob the Orlanthi. Gurgh knocks Art on the head and puts him out of the fight (-1 AP, just dazed). Wusso stands over Art with a spear touching Art's throat, saying, "Try anything and I'll stab you." This keeps Art out of the fight (no "final actions"), so Gurgh can concentrate on Bob. (Of course, now Gurgh doesn't get any APs from Wusso, because Wusso is out of the fight, too.)

...though in a situation like that, Art might try to trick Wusso into looking away--say, a simple contest of Art's "fast talk", augmented by Wusso's "dumber than dirt", against Wusso's "scared of Gurgh"...

--AMS, who might be wrong about any or all of this...