Re: Character creation : question from a novice

From: ferdinand_wg <ferdinand_wg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 09:30:16 -0000

> Does it (Cunning) mean "anticipates trouble"? It depends on the
> type of trouble.

English not being my first language, "cunning" is perhaps not the best word.

What I had in mind is the well-traveled character who can decipher social situations and people. He's not necessarily very intelligent, but he's not easily fooled, has experience of swindles (both as target and initiator), can feel when a situation risks going out of hand, knows when he has overstayed his welcome and is an expert at saving his own skin by packing early. [Not exactly a hero in the traditional sense, in fact.]

So, if I list "anticipate trouble", it would not be a magical sense, more an interpersonal skill and thus limited to social situations.

Now, to rephrase my question, would you consider that all the abilities listed above (plus others non-listed e.g. "detect lies") fall under the keyword "cunning" (albeit with the usual improvisational modifier), or is it worthwhile to list them separately ?