Re: Character creation : question from a novice

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 22:30:27 +0100

ferdinand_wg wrote:

> Let's say I want to create a character whose main characteristic
> (eh !) is to be cunning.

> "He's a
> cunning character without scruples"), I add a bit of flavour by
> saying for instance than he "has learned to read people's attitudes"
> or "anticipate troubles".

> what is the point of even listing the more specialized
> keywords ? After all, if I also list "anticipate trouble : 13" my
> char will be better off by using the general trait "Cunning" even
> with a big (up to 12) improvisational modifier. Or does one have to
> use the narrow trait, and the general one is only used to augment
> it ?

There is no rule that you MUST use the general one to augment with.

In general, if you have multiple applicable abilities, you can use one to augment the other. If you've written overlapping descriptions into your 100-word write up, do add them as abilities to your character sheet, as you have nothing to lose. However, I would recommend rewriting your 100-words so it conveys precisely what you want without redundancy.