Re: Digest Number 47

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 07:34:21 -0700 (PDT)

><rjremr_at_s...> wrote:
>> > Incidently, old RQ versions of Donadar state that
>>only 10% of time
>> > and money need be dedicated by Donadar Initiates,
Acolytes & even
>> > Priests. Does that still hold, for Donadar or any
other Deity, or are
>> > we back to a blanket Initiate=30%, Devotee=60%?
>>
>> For right now we are at blanket 30/60%. Later?
who knows.

>> RR
>
>One might point out that at Initate and Devotee, one
>can 'do things
>which strenghten and emulate the god' which is
>pretty much going to
>taverns, singing songs, and distributing the nooze.
>
>Back in RQ, that 10% is the administrivia
>requirement, I would think.
>
>Jeff

My assumption about the 30%/60% requirements is that as long as your cult and your profession line up, this is not very especially onerous. Assuming that the "time" that is referred to amounts to the part of a day that is generally available for non-basics, and not to the entire solar cycle, I'd call it 12 hours per day. On that basis a modern office worker who puts in 50 hours a weak would be commiting 60% of their time to the gods of bureaucracy. A humakti warrior probably would spend at least this much time overall in his duties: patrolling, practicing, tending to his weapons and armor, as well as actually escorting people, taking part in raids, and so on. Of course, you have your busy weeks and your quieter weeks. After planning and mounting a raid, probably everyone is inclined to slack off a bit afterwards. There are no doubt weeks in Dark season when there isn't that much to do, but others where actual religious duties (prayers, sacrifices, and so on) take up a lot of time.

Similar arguments go for most hunters, farmers, clan leaders, and so on.

Of course, for people who don't simply follow a neat, well defined, path, these duties can be harder. If you are an Odaylan devotee and part of a hero band, finding 60% of your time to devote to hunting, trapping, cleaning of prey, and religious duties could be fairly onerous. Moreso if the humakti warriors always want your keen senses out performing patrols...60% of your time for Odaylan type things plus putting a remotely useful amount of time into another activity will leave anyone feeling quite run ragged, I think.

Which is all to say, before I write up a character, I would think hard about whether he/she should be an initiate or devotee.

If my understanding of the time requirements are way off, could someone in the know please explain how the time requirement is supposed to work?
--Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/