Re: Talk to soul

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 12:37:42 -0000

James Hawkins wrote:
> I've found that it's very easy for players to lose their way in
whodunnit-style episodes.

We weren't lost I swear :-)

Robin's Laws gives a very useful piece of advice: don't bother creating lots of red herrings - the players will create loads of false leads without your intervention. Bruce Ferrie once suggested to me that the best solution was for the narrator to create the crime scene and some suspects, but not decide who had commited the crime and why. Just improvise that from the most interseting outcome to the player's actions as you go along. Never tried it but...

> So in terms of practical story-telling, I wouldn't rule out
anything that might help you, as narrator, to get the story back on track.
My best tip for murder mysteries for fantasy games would probably be ensure that the victim does not know who did it.