Re: The Bow Assassin

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:11:03 -0000

> He went out stalking them and wanted to pick off the leader from a
distance.
> Now this isn't the kind of behaviour I wanted to encourage, so
rather than
> simply handwaving the assassination as something he _should_ be
able to
> accomplish, I looked for a simple contest.
>
> The problem is that a clean kill is difficult to get.

OK the question is do you want a cinematic game or a gritty realistic one. Realistically an archer with normal levels of skill will hit the target most of the time and be in a position to finish him off easily enough (other than the bother of all those cronies).

Cinematically we do not bother with such details, the bad guy gets hit and dies (archbaddies excluded of course). If the bad guy can topple photogenically from a great height all the better.

Realistically bowhunters get pretty good kill percentages against large mammals such as deer but then deer are not smart enough to realise that a man with a bow 20 paces away is a deadly threat whereas all but the dumbest bad guy is unless you are very good at sneaking and also outrunning the followers. These kills can often include animals that are disabled but which take a while to die or which need finishing off. Realistically these are the sorts of results you might expect with a 1W skill, allowing for the availability of healing magic such a result may not actually leave your target dead.

Pick your genre style and go with it.

> If the archers skill is 1W and the ruffians have dodge 14 how would
others
> go about this.

Personally I'd ignore dodge abilities if the target is unaware of what is coming, I'd go with a simple unopposed roll.

--
Nic