Re: 'Simulationist' Wound/Combat system for HW?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:45:10 -0000

Andrew Graham came up with an idea I've been working at, based on the rules in Ron Edwards' 'Trollbabe'. Untested so far, they don't exactly record individual results, but they do extend Simple Combats.

Basically, they allow a player to reroll a failed contest. To be allowed to do so, the player must change the contest somehow. Either thay can add another (single, default) Augment ("OK, if my swordsmanship doesn't impress him, I'll try and fight on and quip at him with my Witty Repartee"), change the purpose of the contest ("Right, I'm not trying to kill him with my Close Combat, just wear him out"), or use a new Ability altogether ("He's STILL winning? RUN AWAY!"). The result of the original failure is applied immediately (ignore Marginal Defeats), and if the reroll fails too, the result is one stage WORSE than the greatest level of defeat between the original and reroll result. You can repeat this if you lose again, but clearly this allows only up to three rerolls, since on the third you either win or suffer Complete Defeat!

This is primarily a method of enhancing a player character's survivability, whilst allowing the referee to challenge him with more dangerous opposition, but it could also be used by the referee to avoid those embarrasing moments when the major villain gets snuffed on the first die roll...

Wulf