Re: 'Simulationist' Wound/Combat system for HW?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 18:00:13 -0000

Hi David,

> Does your group use the Wounds rule(s)? I came up with the "trade -
7 AP loss for a -1 wound) precisely to simulate combats where the
> victor ends up wounded.

James and I play in the same group so hopefully he won't mind me answering, that only rarely do we use this.

>And a narrator is always free to apply a similar penalty for an AP
loss of 15 or more (p. 151).<

Agreed. I think the answer to some of the James's concerns could be use of this rule, and I may well try it. As, at least when I'm narrating, extended contests only really get used for important fights I would be happy to use this by default.

The problem arose, I think, after a contest in which people who were negative, became positive through being lent APs or being supported by new followers. There was some feeling that the narration of the events of the contest had previously implied that they were wounded, so how were they able to rise again without healing magic? Using the 15AP or more grievous wound rule might at least mean that their state reflected the fact that they had been wounded before being rallied. (There was some suggestion that we opted for a house rule of -1 per 15 AP lost in a single exchange, but I would like to see how the 'official' version plays out first).