Re: 'Simulationist' Wound/Combat system for HW?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:47:16 -0800

Philippe

> I don't think I would trade a 7-AP loss for a foe for a malus of -1. A
> 7 AP loss is not too bad (not too hard either, somewhat a 'middle
> range' wound between two normal fighters), but -1 is truly nothing...

It's a tactical choice. I remember our minimaxer doing this when the entire group was fighting a large Chaos monster (probably because its high skill meant that it kept beating people). And if you were fighting someone with a lot of followers, it might make sense as well.

BTW, I don't think we've ever played that you can choose to do multiple wounds in a single blow, so if you're dealing a 20 AP loss to the opponent (who might have 100 AP), making it a 13 point loss and a -1 penalty might be a good choice. You still have to defeat the enemy several more times, and the -1 makes it easier for you and your friends in the future. (If your narrator applies the Grievous Wound rule, then this specific example would be wrong, unless it ended up with a -2 penalty in your game.)

BTW, despite being keen proponents of the 7AP/-1 rule, we never use the Grievous Wound rule. It probably boils down to having choices for the players.

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>