Re: 'Simulationist' Wound/Combat system for HW?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:29:07 +0100

Wulf :

> > learn that useful Storm Pantheon relationship with
> > Chalana;
> > sport blood-soaked pathces on his forehead.
> >
> > Etc etc.

> It's the 'etc etc' that makes this particularly useless though. It's
> almost impossible to get a group of characters with NO healing amongst
> them. Two minutes after the combat, and they're all healled again. The
> situation is in some ways worse than in RQ - there you could heal all
> non-fatal wounds, but you'd use up POW. In
> HW/HQ/whatever-it-is-this-week you can heal away to your heart's
> content.

Still called HW 'til March '03 ... ;-)

In HQ, I don't think it'll be so easy, but I'm speculating.

I would *definitely* apply a multiple targets penalty (number of targets = number of Wounds) to any mass healing attempt, ie 5 Wounds to heal among the group, +12 Resistance for each and every Wound (AKA 5 times Resistance 7W) (according to the awful table on p. 230 of HW:RiG, anyway, which -although it SUCKS log-wise, hint, hint- can serve as a basis for the discussion).

Healers need to streeeeeetch their bandages (and abilities) ... ;-)

But again, this is an issue of house style. Massed skill use figures prominently in mine ... ;-)

Actually, the strict letter of the rules ought to let you cause multiple wounds with a sufficient AP bid, and a Multiple Targets penalty (ie, I bid 28 AP, with a quick Subotai-like one-two stabbing movement using both daggers, hoping for 4 Wounds : Target gets +9 to his Resistance TN ... ).

Julian Lord