Different, but similar languages

From: antalvarez2001 <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:11:11 -0000

In my serie, the heortling PC's are going to interact with Tarshites and Exiles. I would like to emphasize with the different languages that they are a different, but related people, and I don't want an absolute lack of communication. How do you deal with these problems?

I think I would put a -5 penalty or so to all communication abilities. In normal conversation (no contest) what can I do? An ability test of Heortling Customs with -5? Also, I don't want too much rolls, because it could stop the game.

Regards,

Antonio